Who doesn’t love edibles for the holidays? That feeling when the edible kicks in like a bat of hell and the tiniest of grins whips across your face like a soft breeze. Most folks will be filling their belly’s with chocolate, cookies, and brownies this holiday season, so dablione figured lets switch it up with some Rockstar gummy bears. Lets break it down on how to make some cannabis infused gummy bears.
Ingredients and items required:
- 4 packs of unflavored Gelatin
- 1 package of flavor gelatin
- 3 Gummy bear molds – (found at local candy store)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 12 grams of rosin chips
- Coffee Filter
- Double boiler (2 small pots that fit snug and boiling water)
- Glass measuring cup
Recipe makes 48 gummy bears
Part 1: How to make cannabis coconut oil
Items required: 2 pots for double boiler, coconut oil, coffee filter, and a glass measuring cup.
Step 1: The ratios
The general rule of thumb is to add a 1/4 teaspoon of infused coconut oil for every gummy bear in the mold. In our case we have 48 gummy bears in the mold, so 48 gummy bears x 1/4 teaspoon = 12 teaspoons. Thanks to google, 12 teaspoons = 1/4 cup of coconut oil needed. The potency of oil is up to you, but for a recipe like this we recommenced 13 grams of rosin chips or 10 grams of flower.
Step 2: Prep work
Grind up your rosin chips or flower and set up the double boiler. ***Note, if you are using traditional flower instead of rosin chips, you will need to decarb the flower first.
How to set up double boiler– this requires two small pots and boiling water.
- Boil a small pot of water less than 1/4 full.
- Once the water is boiling, bring it down to a simmer.
- Place your second pot into the pot with boiling water . The second pot must fit snug and the bottom of the pot should not be touching the boiling water like the GIF below
- ** You will have to keep refilling the pot of boiling water through the 2 hour process.
Step 3: Mix and Cook
Melt the 1/4 cup of coconut oil in the double boiler and add the ground up rosin chips. Stir the mixture for two hours checking the double boiler to ensure the water does not boil away.
Step 4: Strain
Once the mixture is done cooking, strain it through the coffee filter into the glass measuring cup. You now have infused cannabis coconut oil! Set this aside as it’s time to make the gummy bears!
Part 2: How to make cannabis gummy bears
Items required: Medium pot, 1/2 cup of cold water, 3 gummy bear trays, PAM, 4 packets of unflavored gelatin, 1 package of flavored gelatin, 1 glass measuring cup, and 1/4 cup cannabis infused coconut oil
Step 1: The Prep
Spray the gummy bear trays LIGHTLY with PAM, place a 1/2 cup of cold water into a small pot on the stove, and make room in your freezer for the gummy bear trays.
Step 2: The Mix
Add the 4 packs of unflavored gelatin, 1 package of flavored gelatin, and 1/4 cup of infused coconut oil into the pot with water. Stir the mixture well until it is uniform.
- Tips from the Pros: Unlike the picture, mix the 1/2 cup of cold water and 1/4 cup of infused coconut oil first, than the gelatins. It will mix more evenly.
Step 3: Cook
Heat up the mixture on medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Keep on stirring every other minute.
Step 4: Transfer and Pour
Once the mixture is cooked for 5 to 10 minutes, turn the heat off and transfer into a glass measuring cup. Next, pour the mixture into the gummy bear trays like so.
- Tips from the Pros: A glass measuring cup is key for easy pouring into the mold.
Step 5: Freeze
Put the gummy bears in the freezer for 20 minutes.
Step 6: Demold
Pop the gummy bears out of the mold and you are finally done!
Step 7: Eat and Storage
It’s time to reap the rewards and eat a gummy bear for your hardwork. For storage, we suggest the freezer as they will stay good for well over a year!